Today I am sharing this healthy tomato and turmeric soup recipe with you that is both tasty and healthy. Tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene which is a potent antioxidant that combats chronic disease like cancer. Chronic diseases are primarily due to oxidative stress and inflammation.
Pairing turmeric which have anti-inflammatory components with tomatoes with their antioxidant content can reap amazing benefits for staying healthy. Curcumin is absorbed a lot better when paired with black pepper, so don’t be shy to add both of them to your soup.
Healthy Tomato and Turmeric Soup Recipe
- Five ounces of cherry tomatoes, cut in half and rinsed
- One can diced tomatoes with the sauce
- Half cup of low-salt vegetable stock
- One teaspoon coconut oil
- One small finely diced onion
- Two minced garlic cloves
- Two teaspoons turmeric powder
- Half teaspoon of sea salt
- One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Half teaspoon of dried basil
- Ground black pepper
- Mixed nuts and seeds for garnish (optional)
- Heat the tablespoon of coconut oil in a sauce pan and fry the garlic and onion for a minute.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and turmeric and keep cooking until the tomatoes soften and leave their juice.
- Add the can of tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, vegetable stock, and basil.
- Bring all the ingredients to the boil before covering the mixture with a lid and allow to simmer for five minutes.
- Add everything to a blender and blend until you’ve reached a creamy consistency.
- Season with salt and ground pepper and add the garnish.
Tomatoes contain lycopene which has been associated with various health benefits, including lower the risk of heart disease as well as cancer. They are also an excellent source of potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate.
Onions, no matter the colour are fantastic sources of vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin C, and folate.
Garlic contains vitamin B6, vitamin C, potassium, copper, thiamine, phosphorous, calcium, and manganese.
Turmeric contains phosporous, potassium, and manganese, plus other magical nutirients that keeps you healthy and strong. It also has powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
Turmeric, a plant which is related to ginger, is believed to combat inflammation. This spice has a unique golden colour and is often used in curries to add flavour and for its health benefits. Apart from being added to food, it could be taken as a supplement too. The main anti-inflammatory component found in turmeric is curcumin which can also be uses as a supplement by itself.
Studies suggest that curcumin might have equal anti-inflammatory effects than NSAID pain relievers like ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen. Preliminary studies had positive results for curcumin’s use in individuals with lupus, ulcerative colitis, depression, and multiple myeloma. But more research must be conducted, therefore it’s not recommended to be used as part of a treatment plan.
I hope that you will give this tasty and healthy tomato and turmeric soup recipe a try, especially during winter time when our bodies crave warmth and substance. Feel free to share your special soup recipes with me.
Sending you lots of love, nutrition, and tasty vibes.